Saturday, February 28, 2015

Shelf Exam Incoming

Second semester is flying by at an alarming rate. Our Principles of Pharmacology course just ended and the Medical Pharmacology shelf exam is on the horizon. It's finally setting in that I have to figure out a plan for next year. At this point in time, I'm deciding between continuing to work in the test preparation field or venturing into pharmaceutical sales. If I choose the teaching route, then I think I'm going to focus my efforts on tutoring rather than working in the classroom. In Austin, prior to relocating to New Orleans, my work/life balance was completely lopsided. I'd really prefer to choose my own hours and have the flexibility to take classes over the summer. I recently learned that several of the medical schools that I'm planning to apply to require it. In addition, the biochemistry that I was exposed to throughout my MCAT teaching career and this Pharmacology program seems critically important for success in medical school.

I was also excited to learn how easy it is to take online classes. A peer in this program introduced me to edx.org where I can sign up for classes that cover pretty much anything. The ease of access to a structured course blows my mind. I've been considering learning basic HTML so that I could compile my ideas on a webpage. I love rehabilitative medicine and sports medicine and often read articles that I find interesting and useful. My plan for the future is to start putting together a resource that not only I can use for exercise/rehab program development, but that I can share with friends. The opportunities seem limitless.

Overall, this month has been a highly productive one, filled with reflection and planning for the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment