Friday, October 31, 2014

Improved Study Techniques

For the last few months, I've been struggling to determine the perfect study method. My initial strategy was to read and reread texts, drug names and their descriptions to memorize them. That quickly proved inefficient. I adopted a new approach which included discussing content with peers. Although I enjoyed the social interaction and definitely felt like the material became more ingrained in mind, I ran into a few challenges. Studying with others was frequently ineffective unless my peers were equally in the zone and at the same point in their test preparation. In addition, I noticed that I would review material and find that my memory still failed me a few days later. I incorporated mnemonic devices, but realized that keeping my mnemonics straight was more frustrating than memorizing the drugs as they are. Mnemonics also added an additional step to the recollection process, which produced a lag time when I was asked questions. Fortunately, I have finally landed on a study strategy that works, both during class sessions and on my own. I write down every question that the professor asks and every question that I can think of during the lessons and when I watch the recordings. The question writing process is ongoing. For review, I ask myself each question from the growing list and answer it out loud. In this way, I am able to memorize nearly everything and feel well-prepared for both the exams and any offhanded question that I am presented with. Anyone who is considering a new approach to studying should give this a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment